ALABAMA DIGITAL PRESERVATION NETWORK
The Alabama Digital Preservation Network (ADPNet) is a distributed digital preservation network, maintained by a number of Alabama libraries, archives, colleges and universities since 2008. Member institutions pool their electronic resources through a LOCKSS-based network of preservation nodes in order to provide a long-term storage repository for digital assets. The network can support repositories of different types and sizes as well as different kinds of institutions, and it provides secure, geographically distributed, low-cost, and member-run storage for the long-term preservation of digital assets. ADPNet is governed by the member institutions through the network's Steering Committee; the network is financially supported by member institutions, and sponsored by the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries (NAAL).
We welcome new members from Alabama and the U.S. Southeast. Contact Us with a Membership Request if you are interested in joining the digital preservation network.
Committees and Workgroups
- The Steering Committee sets general ADPNet policy, reviews and approves requests to join ADPNet, and reviews and approves requests to increase ADPNet storage capacity. Each Member of ADPNet appoints voting representatives to the Steering Committee according to membership categories, for a term of 1 year.
- The Technical Policy Committee periodically reviews the ADPNet capacity and technical specifications and prepares recommendations on issues having to do with hardware and software. It consists of members with technical expertise representing the ADPNet Host member organizations. Chairs of the Steering Committee serve as ex officio members of the committee, and appoint regular committee members from the staff of Host Members.
Q&A: Network Members
- Q: Does ADPNet provide a way to add or update content to an AU after it has been preserved in the network?
- Q: What upkeep is required to run a LOCKSS node?
HOWTO: Network Members
- HOWTO: Request a staging area on the Drop Server
- HOWTO: Package files for staging on the Drop Server
- HOWTO: Convert CentOS 7 to RHEL 7
HOWTO: Preservation Node Managers
- HOWTO: Add a new AU to your node for preservation
- HOWTO: Add a new AU to your node for a test crawl
- HOWTO: Check the version of Java running on your preservation node
- Project Prospectus (February 2008)
- "LOCKSS Networks: Community-Based Digital Preservation" (Book chapter from Jeremy Myntti and Jessalyn Zoom, eds. Digital Preservation in Libraries: Preparing for a Sustainable Future, ALA 2019)
- Getting Started with LOCKSS
- Installation Instructions
- Plugin Tool Download (0.12.1 latest from SourceForge)
- LOCKSS Plugin Tool Tutorial (Way Back Machine IA)
- Annotated ADPNet LOCKSS Plugin
- Learn more about LOCKSS Software